Why Fathers?




We live in a world where we focus on what is best for me and what I deserve. As woman in history we have typically been discriminated against and treated unfairly and as lesser than men. However, with the feminist movement we have seen the gap between men and women slowly closing. This is a good thing but has created several ill consequences. One being that in our fight for equality we have tried to make ourselves better than men. We should all remember that we are no better than men nor are we worth less than them. It isn’t a matter of who is better or not, but of fulfilling our individual roles together. It bothers me when a man assumes that I cant do something such as lifting a heavy box, some form of construction, etc. However, I don’t often stop to think about how maybe it’s not that he doesn’t think I can’t do it but it is more that he is trying to respect me and serve me because he values me. Women (my-self included), need to stop being offended when a man offers his assistance. Instead we should rid ourselves of pride and say thank you.

A funny vine circulated the web a few years ago with a woman commenting “I’m a strong, independent woman and I don’t need no man”. I myself have fallen prey to using this line as a means of standing up for myself. However, I would be ridiculous to agree completely with it. Men are essential to life, they literally help create it. Now you could argue that now a days with the advances of technology that you don’t even need a man to conceive a child. However, life would not be complete without the assistance of a man. No matter how much you argue it, men are needed and play a vital role in our lives and in the lives of our children.

Again, I ask, why Fathers? Why exactly are fathers so important in our lives and how can their influence shape my own life and way of being? Studies show that children who don’t have a father in the home are more likely to have delinquent tendencies (committing crime and going to jail), promiscuous daughters and have lower income. Who knew that fathers had such a huge impact in the lives of their children?

We view mothers as the nurturers/care takers and fathers as the providers. This is true but does not cover everything. Both the mother and father should be nurturers/caretakers and providers, just in different ways. The father will often be out of the house working so that he can provide for the physical wants and needs of his family. However, when he comes home it is important that he spends time with his children teaching them and playing with them. Young boys especially through rough and tumble play with fathers learn how to better control their anger and how to channel their strength.  Children also learn a lot through observation of their parents. They will learn how to date and interact with people of the opposite sex based on the example that the parents set. I have fond memories of when living at home going on father/daughter dates. Those dates were important because they taught me what appropriate dating was and how a man should treat me and I a man.
When a father is out of the home he cannot be the same father that he would be if he was in the home more. The world teaches that you can buy anything with money. It also teaches that men are only valued for how much money they make. This is not true. I have found from personal observation and experience that true happiness and success come from a loving and close family that is centered on the teachings of Jesus Christ. Sure, having money may make certain aspects of life easier, but at what expense? I’d much rather have my father present in my life then a nice car or house. Money comes and goes but family is forever. The world teaches us that we should make an impact in the world by doing something big and public. However, father’s make the biggest footprints by being active in the home; their legacy is their children.  

I am so grateful for my father and the example that he has been in our home by presiding, protecting, providing, being present and partnering with my mom. I am so blessed to have had him so involved in my life starting from a young age even until now. I know that when I have any questions, fears or concerns that he will always be there to guide me through them. I know that without his influence in my life that I would be a different person. Father’s come in all shapes and sizes and due to some circumstances not all families will have a father present in the home whether due to death, abandonment, work, etc. Granted your children will have the best chances when the father is home but that does not mean that they are left for naught. Father figures (spiritual leader, teacher, uncle, grandpa, male family friend, etc.)  can come from many different places and can make a huge impact in a child’s life. While on my mission my mission president became a father figure for me and helped me through some difficult situations. I am eternally grateful to him as well.
Women are great, but you cannot replace having a father in a child’s life. As we celebrate femininity let’s not forget about the importance of the men in our lives.

Here is another cool link that you can check out to know more about the importance of fatherhood. Let me know in the comments below your thoughts on "why fathers?" 



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

This is me

Social Class

Communication