Love One Another



Something that has been pressed upon my mind recently is the song Love One Another. It states:

As I have loved you, 
Love one another. 
This new commandment:
Love one another.
By this shall man know
Ye are my disciples.
If ye have love, 
One to another. 

 As children of God we all face different challenges during our Earthly journey. Some of us face these trials openly and others battle their demons quietly. There is nothing wrong either way. My heart reaches out to our brothers and sisters who struggle openly and quietly with same-sex attraction. It is not an easy thing to deal with temptation. Many of us fall short at times. I know I myself am not perfect and fall short in many areas. I have a great love for chocolate and all yummy tasting foods. I know they are not good for me and I know that I should avoid them, yet knowing something doesn't always make it easier to listen to and follow. I know this isn't a great example and by no means comes close to the reality of what others face in terms of same sex attraction, but the principle is there. Just as I would not want someone to judge or think ill of me for being overweight due to appetite and desires. Likewise we should not judge others who struggle with same-sex attraction. 

I've mentioned before that I am a member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints. As I act in my faith I strive to follow the example of the Savior in all that I do. The savior showed love to everyone and was no respecter of persons. President Gordon B. Hinckley said it best when he stated:

"People inquire about our position on those who consider themselves so-called gays and lesbians. My response is that we love them as sons and daughters of God. They may have certain inclinations which are powerful and which may be difficult to control. Most people have inclinations of one kind or another at various times. If they do not act upon these inclinations, then they can go forward as do all other members of the Church. . . . We want to help these people, to strengthen them, to assist them with their problems and to help them with their difficulties". (Gordon B. Hinckley, “What Are People Asking about Us?”) 

As christian people the best thing that we can do to help our loved ones and friends who struggle with same-sex attraction is to be their friends and not abandon them. Often, when we feel that someone is doing something contrary to our beliefs we turn away and expect them to figure it out by themselves. However, the Savior would not have done that. He would extend a helping hand of support and love, letting them know that they are NOT ALONE, lifting them from sinking into the depths of despair. 
I love the following image of the Savior reaching out to us as we sink into the water. It comes from the story of Jesus walking on water with the apostle Peter. We often forget that Peter too had stepped out and walked on water a few steps. As the world came about him he began to lose faith and sank, but he did not go far, for the Lord was there ready to extend a hand and help him back up. 
We too for one reason or another slip into doubt and fear and begin to sink. But the Lord is always there ready to catch us when we fall. We can be that help to those around us as well. We can extend a hand of mercy and compassion to our brothers and sisters who need help because they are drowning in shame and despair. I love the children's song I'll Walk With You which states: 

If you don't walk as most people do,
Some people walk away from you, 
But I wont! I wont!
If you don't talk as most people do,
Some people talk and laugh at you, 
But I wont! I wont!
I'll walk with you. I'll talk with you.
That's how I'll show my love for you.
Jesus walked away from none. 
He gave his love to everyone one.
So I will! I will!
Jesus blessed all he could see,
Then turned and said,
"Come follow me."
And I will! I will!
I will! I will!
I'll walk with you. I'll talk with you.
That's how I'll show my love for you.

When we have loved ones or friends who struggle with same-sex attraction we cannot try to "fix them". That is not our job and it is not right for us to attempt to do so. The journey of same-sex attraction is between the individual and the Lord. Our role is to be supportive and encouraging in their endeavors to find purpose and healing. We cannot be their Saviors, they already have one. What we can do is be there for them when they need us and lift them up when they fall. If you are hurt by the choices of loved ones and friends remember that the power of the atonement can lift you up as well. It is a strength when we are weak and can bring us closer together as friends and family if we let it. The atonement of Jesus Christ is real! His healing power is real! 

Remember that if the individual is not acting on their temptation then it is not a sin. Also, let us not judge another because they sin differently then we do. He who is without sin cast the first stone. No one in the world is without sin except for the Savior. He is the only one who holds the right to judge another, yet he chooses love instead. He too was tempted like we all are, but we can take hope and strength knowing that He rose above temptations of the world. Through him we can gather strength and rise above as well. 

I invite each of us to look again at those around us and see people as they really are, as children of God. I do not confess to know all things nor do I confess do be perfect at all things. But this I do know: Heavenly Father is a loving and merciful God. He understands all that we suffer through and struggle with in life. He will not abandon us in our hour of need and likewise we should not abandon our brothers and sisters in their hour of need. Extend a helping hand and show love to those around you. Judge less and build people up for their efforts rather than bashing them for where they fall short. 

#LoveThePersonNotTheSin
#I'llWalkWithYou
#LoveOneAnother
















Comments

Popular posts from this blog

This is me

Social Class

Communication